Monday, October 13, 2008

Vantage Point - Check it out!

Today was my birthday and I turned 38. It wasn't too bad a day. I spent the morning looking for bugs with Nathan, playing and laughing with Evan, eating lunch and dinner with my family (my parents, James and the boys) and watching a movie with James. I couldn't ask for more! I think one of the best parts was getting to watch a movie with James.

My parents are really great. They watch Evan and Nathan all week while we work. Mom does great little extras for us like bake her awesome Cinnamon Bread, freeze dinners for us to help during the week and anything else in between. We are so lucky to have my parents near by and blessed to have such great parents that we can trust with the boys. There are so many days that I think I couldn't do all this without their help.

And then I get a call from my Mom on Saturday. "Your Dad and I were talking and we really wanted to offer to watch the boys on Sunday afternoon so you and James could go to a movie." My parents really love me and know me so well! I love movies. I always have. We grew up watching them together as a family and I have always been a movie fanatic. Ask me about just about any movie or actor (before July 2005) and I can tell you all about it. My first movies were The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. Then it was Cary Grant, Sidney Poitier, Hepburn & Tracy, Doris Day type movies with Mom and my sister, Westerns with Mom & Dad (Big Country, anything John Wayne, Giant) War movies with Dad (The Great Escape, Bridge on the River Kwai) and best of all was Christmas (It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, The Bishop's Wife). Then in high school I dragged my parents to just about everything that came out! James and I bonded over movies and worked the movie theater at UNT.

I crave movies and I miss them so much now that the boys are here. We enjoy Cars, Finding Nemo, Aristocrats etc with Nathan but since he was born have only seen one or two adult movies a year. I've completely lost touch with the movie world.

When Mom made that offer of a special birthday gift for me, I was so excited! It was the perfect gift for me and such a fun and exciting idea. But being such a movie fan, I wanted to be sure I picked a great one - not just any old movie would do. I didn't want to waste my day on average. So I looked at everything in the theater, brainstormed the movies that had come and gone and finally decided what I wanted more than anything was to sit at home, with popcorn on the couch, crank up our nice surround system and watch a video. And I knew just the one...Vantage Point. I remembered how good the previews had looked and how much I wanted to see it. Dennis Quaid, Forest Whitaker, William Hurt. Suspense, action, awesome car chase! I'm screaming at the characters from the couch, on the edge of my seat, trying to figure it all out. Well, shall I just say it was the perfect movie! I loved it!!

So, run, don't walk to your local blockbuster and if you haven't seen it already, rent Vantage Point. You won't be disappointed. The president gets shot at an event in Spain and the story gets told from the vantage point of 5 different people involved. Very cool filming and approach to the story. Just my kind of movie.

And then if you like it, and want to see something else just as cool, try one or all of these: Momento, Run Lola Run, Twenty Bucks, and Sliding Doors.

And don't forget the popcorn!

No comments: